A Senior Consultant at TayganPoint, Jeff Handen has over twenty years’ experience in pharmaceutical and biotechnology R&D working with some of the world’s leading Life sciences R&D organizations. His areas of expertise include strategy formulation and implementation, process improvement, program and process management, systems implementations, organizational re-design and business analytics.
Jeff’s career path began with academic appointments at the National Institutes of Health as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow and as a founding member of the University of Pennsylvania’s Institute for Medicine and Engineering. Subsequently Jeff assumed positions of increasing responsibility with PricewaterhouseCoopers Consulting where he focused on R&D Optimization. Jeff then joined Merck Research Laboratories as a Director of Portfolio Management helping to execute and manage Merck’s portfolio of clinical studies. And prior to joining TayganPoint Jeff spent 6 years with Medidata Solutions, Inc. developing and implementing clinical trial technology solutions.
Recent Projects Include:
- Led the development and delivery of end to end solutions for the clinical development process; study design, protocol development, trial planning and management, site collaboration and management, randomization and trial supply management, monitoring, safety event capture, electronic data capture and management of patient clinical data, advanced reporting and business analytics.
- Implemented and managed centralized R&D benchmarking and metrics programs.
- Designed and implemented clinical study project and program management processes; risk management, milestone tracking, resource management, outsourcing strategy, portfolio modeling and decision support, and target product profile development
- Designed and implemented a technology selection methodology and business process re-engineering plan for the drug safety function of a top 20 global pharmaceutical organization
- Developing a growth strategy and vision for a Fortune 500 contract research organization
- Developed a laboratory IT strategy for the generics division of a top 20 global pharmaceutical organization
- Developed an IT strategy for the discovery organization of a major, multi-national pharmaceutical company
- Developed a strategy, organization design, and process operating model for the integration of a global clinical development organization.
- Developed and implemented a decision analytics tool for site and patient recruitment strategies for the North American Division of a top 20 global pharmaceutical company.
- Managed an organizational assessment and re-design of the preclinical R&D department of a top 20 pharmaceutical company.
Education, Certifications, Thought Leadership & Awards:
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Duke University
- Ph. D., Neurosciences, The George Washington University
In the Community:
An active contributor to his community, Jeff is a volunteer leader in the Boy Scouts of America and serves on the Radnor, Pennsylvania Township Board of Ethics.
Program & Project Management
R&D IT Business Strategy Alignment
Strategy Development & Execution