Bob Macfarlane is a business and IT strategy consultant with over 25 years of experience in designing, developing, and implementing solutions for clients in a broad range of industries. His areas of expertise include project management, business process improvement, logistics, change management, and information technology design and development. Bob is recognized as an exceptional leader with an entrepreneurial nature, high energy level, and outstanding management skills.
Bob started his career as an engineer, building satellite systems for the U.S. Air Force and later General Electric. He subsequently transitioned into business consulting and held senior management positions with Princeton Consultants and Navigant Consulting. In 2005, Bob was recalled to active duty to support Operation Enduring Freedom and later to serve as a staff officer at the Pentagon. In 2010 Bob returned to his civilian career and joined the government contractor firm Booz Allen Hamilton.
Recent Projects Include:
- International Ocean Shipping Company – Analyzed the process for determining the price to charge customers for shipping large equipment and machinery from North America to ports in Australia, Europe, and Asia. Developed the recommendations for improving the process and outlined an 18 month implementation plan.
- Large Defense Organization – Provided program management support to the R&D office for medical logistics. Responsibilities included requirements analysis, acquisition support, budgeting, planning and programming, business process reengineering, information technology investments, and senior level reporting.
- United States Air Force – Led a multi-disciplined team driving logistics related actions to transform Air Force nuclear enterprise after highly publicized nuclear incidents. Directed lean six sigma analysis of findings/recommendations from DoD investigations to create complete solutions that addressed root causes, managed development of metrics and control mechanisms to ensure solutions were effective & enduring, and chartered executive board of senior leaders to provide governance. Coordinated implementation with project teams across the organization – results reshaped AF nuclear policy, procedures, systems, and culture
- Fortune 100 Financial Services Company – Directed the 40+ project team assisting with the system integration of a real time processing system. Team had significant responsibilities in systems design, systems testing, data conversion, data reconciliation, and project management.
Education, Certifications, Thought Leadership & Awards:
- B.S. in Computer Science & Engineering – University of Connecticut
- Project Management Professional (PMP) – Project Management Institute
- Change Management Advanced Practitioner (CMAP) – Georgetown University
- Top Secret security clearance (TS/SCI)
In the Community:
Bob served 28 years in the United States Air Force Reserve, retiring in January 2013 as a Lieutenant Colonel. He currently supports the Veterans Helping Veterans program and the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Program & Project Management
Federal & State Government