Bob Macfarlane has over 25 years of experience in designing, developing, and implementing solutions for clients in a broad range of industries. His areas of expertise include program and project management, business process improvement, change management, and information technology design and development. Bob is recognized as an exceptional leader with an entrepreneurial nature, high energy level, and strong management skills.
Bob started his career as an engineer, building satellite systems for the U.S. Air Force and later General Electric. He subsequently transitioned into business consulting and held senior management positions with Princeton Consultants and Navigant Consulting. In 2005, Bob was recalled to active duty to support Operation Enduring Freedom and later to serve as a staff officer at the Pentagon. In 2010 Bob returned to his civilian career and joined the government contractor firm Booz Allen Hamilton.
Recent Projects Include:
- Global Manufacturing Organization – Providing project management support for enterprise initiative to improve quality management systems for 100+ internal and external manufacturing sites. Coordinating activities across multiple project teams to deliver and deploy new quality standards. Developing briefing materials to inform executive team and align key stakeholders.
- National Healthcare Firm – Analyzed the procedures and controls used to ingest, process, and report millions of prescription related transactions each week. Identified critical risks and recommended solutions to improve the quality of the firm’s data and client deliverables.
- Global Pharmaceutical Company – Provided project management support for the acquisition of a mid-size biotech company. Helped senior leaders to plan and execute Day 1/30/90 activities, identify and track cost savings, rationalize applications, integrate IT infrastructures, and update ERP systems.
- Medical Supply Company – Supported the transformation of the company’s client services organization. Conducted interviews and facilitated workshops to identify best practices, standardize processes, prioritize initiatives, and align stakeholders across facilities in North America and Europe.
- Global Asset Management Firm – Analyzed the processes and tools for generating and consuming investment research. Modeled behavior in a BPM tool to create requirements for a new knowledge management system.
- Growing Pharmaceutical Company – Led process improvement team to develop desired future state with stage gates, decision nodes, governance structure. Changes helped R&D to significantly reduce its timeline for developing new products.
- United States Air Force – Led a multi-disciplined team driving logistics related actions to transform the Air Force nuclear enterprise after several highly publicized nuclear incidents. Results reshaped AF nuclear policy, procedures, systems, and culture.
Education, Certifications, Thought Leadership & Awards:
- B.S. in Computer Science & Engineering – University of Connecticut
- Project Management Professional (PMP) – Project Management Institute
- Change Management Advanced Practitioner (CMAP) – Georgetown University
- Certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
In the Community:
Bob served 28 years in the United States Air Force Reserve, retiring in January 2013 as a Lieutenant Colonel. He currently supports the Veterans Helping Veterans program and the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Bob also competes as a triathlete and runner in charitable races.
Program & Project Management
Federal & State Government