A Senior Consultant at TayganPoint, Daniel Patrick has more than 25 years of experience in the Life Sciences and Financial Services industries. His areas of expertise include program and project management, merger & acquisition planning and integration, business process reengineering, R&D, and strategy development and implementation.
Dan’s career began at JP Morgan where he directly assisted industry analysts in valuing companies in support of mergers & acquisitions transactions and other financial advisory work. After earning an MBA in Finance & Marketing, he joined Merck where he held positions of increasing responsibility in Financial Evaluation & Analysis, Divisional Financial Services, Treasury, Johnson & Johnson/Merck Joint Venture, Corporate Operational Excellence, and R&D. In his last role at Merck, Dan led the Strategy Realization Office for the R&D Division, where he managed and prioritized the portfolio of the R&D Division’s strategic and large scale transformation initiatives and led the R&D Division merger integration team for the Merck/Schering-Plough merger. Dan then joined Celgene Corporation as Executive Director of Global Financial Planning & Analysis, responsible for the global quarterly forecasting and financial review cycle, annual planning and budgeting process, and the reporting of actual and forecasted financial performance.
Recent Projects Include:
- Developed and implemented Balanced Scorecard and associated processes/tools for quarterly operational reviews with CEO and senior management committee. Highlighted business risks and activities necessary to improve future performance. Collaborated with Human Resources senior management in creating and implementing Strategic Workforce Planning framework and methodologies to be used as an integral component of corporate operating plans.
- Led the R&D Division merger integration team for the Merck/Schering-Plough merger (deal value $41 billion). Accountable for the planning and execution of all integration activities to ensure post-merger goals were achieved.
- Developed financial analysis to evaluate several operating models for worldwide Clinical Development organization, including establishment of local operations.
- Managed and prioritized the portfolio of strategic and large scale transformation initiatives of a major operating division. Ensured plans and resources were aligned to execute projects, including identification of risks and mitigation plans.
- Created a standard company-wide forecasting and reporting process for senior management. The defined planning process included items such as timelines, primary assumptions and inputs, and required systems enhancements.
- Completed post-acquisition analysis of several companies acquired by a major biopharmaceutical company. Evaluated forecasted vs. actual performance and identified lessons learned to apply to future business transactions.
Recent Published Articles Include:
- R&D Portfolio Management: A Disciplined Approach to Unlocking Value: As the Biopharma industry continues to go through significant transformation there are many core capabilities that Biopharma companies must have. But perhaps none is more important than the ability to effectively discover and launch new products.
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, Manhattan College
- MBA, Finance & Marketing, Simon Business School, University of Rochester
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt
In the Community:
Lecturer, Economics & Finance, U.S. Military Academy at West Point (2008 – Present) and Manhattan College (2013 – Present).
Strategy Development & Deployment
Merger, Acquisition & Divestiture
Shared Services & Call Center
Sales & Marketing
Organization Design & Change Management
Program Management & Project Leadership
Not For Profit
Consumer Package Goods